Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hockey, Hockey, Hockey

Hi All!

Well, there has been lot's of hockey, some hockey is over, but never fear, I've learned there will always be more hockey.

Kolt finished up his season with a tournament in Calgary this past weekend. He had a fantastic year. He went from a kid who leaned on his stick to stay upright in the beginning, to one of the top kids on the team. He is very talented, and very skillful. Not that I'm surprised by that, the very first time he walked on his own, he walked clear across my house. That's just his personality; study it, study it, gather all of the details, then just go do it. He really made it look easy. My Jake crashed, banged, and fell all over the place trying to get the puck in the net the first year. He didn't ever care how it looked, or if it might hurt, he just went 100 miles an hour all the time. Not Kolt, he's very careful, and doesn't necessarily care how often he puts the puck in, but heaven forbid he should get hurt, or not do it correctly -- he can hardly get a hold of himself when that happens. He's very hard on himself -- but when things are going well for him, he is the happiest looking kid out there.

Jake had an absolutely outstanding year! He overcame many obstacles, worked hard, practiced hard, and played hard. His last few games have been incredible. Their team won all their games this season (with the exception of one tied game) heading into playoffs. They won the first round of playoffs, but lost the final game today. It was a great game, they had it tied at 3:3, and the other team scored on a break-a-way with 30 seconds left in the 3rd period. It's really surprising how intense a game of 7 & 8 year olds can be! We have 2 tournaments to play in March, and then that's it for this team.

I briefly mentioned in my last post that Jake got picked to play Spring hockey this year. Spring hockey runs from April to the end of June. It costs $1000 to put him in it. Clearly, its a pretty big commitment. We actually hummed and hawed as to whether we would do it in the beginning. It's an honor to play, as they scout the kids from Southern Alberta to try to get the best team possible. They play with kids that are all the same age, so each birth year has it's own team. My biggest concern, was that I didn't want to burn him out. He loves hockey sooo much, I'd hate for him to lose his passion. When the coach approached us, I asked him what the advantage to playing would be, he told me what they will learn, will be amazing - so we decided to do it.

Soon after we registered and payed our fees, the coach emailed me asking if I wanted to be the team manager. So I accepted, and it looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. When I browsed the league's website, I noticed that they had a new logo contest running. Whoever won the logo contest, got their registration fees waived for this year. So I thought, hmmmmm, $1000 to design a logo eh? Not too shabby. Jake and I got busy looking at different logos on the internet to find some ideas. We decided that we liked the circle logos, and that it needed some stars on it. I spent some time designing it and came up with this:

We just got the call this week that we won the contest! That's kinda fun! There are around 20 different teams, and they will do quite a bit of traveling. They will all be wearing jersey's with that logo on them. A pretty proud moment for me!

Well, I think that catches us up on most of the hockey news for now. Lot's of success's, improvements and learning this season. We have become good friends with many of the families off of our teams. It's sad to move on, as we will inevitably be going in different directions. One thing for sure; I'll always remember this year with a smile. I guess that's what it's all about...

Love,
Jodi

No comments: